Thursday, June 08, 2006

Yeah, They're Everywhere

Besides being the lightening capitol of the world, Florida must be the cockroach distribution center. In that subtropical environment they thrive. Whether called waterbugs or palmento bugs they are huge and look even "huger" when unexpectedly encountered. And they fly. And they love to fly towards any woman's hair or so the women say after the shrieking stops. And they can run faster than newspaper swats or bug spray. And those are just the big fellas.

The little ones, German roaches and such are much more ubiquitous. Once when I moved into a clean (I knew it was, my ex-wife had lived there previously and she was clean) house I noticed a few. At that time there was a product which when sprayed if it didn't kill the buggers would alter them genetically and prevent reproduction. I sprayed and they started running from any available crack or crevice. I started running for the door. When I felt it safe to return I swept them up by the dustpan full.

Baltimore was another story. One of the joys of rowhouse living is that if the neighbors have roaches, you've got roaches. No matter how clean one keeps the house the neighbors bugs like to visit. If nothing else the curious little devils like to explore. When it rained the big ones would appear around the house, kinda like fast moving zombies from "Night of the Living Dead".

Almost a year has gone by since our move to the mountains and we had seen no roaches. Wanda was happy and I was happy. She's been traditionally the bug murderer as I'm usually still recovering from the sudden shrieking. Blood pressure and all that, you know. As any of you who may follow the continuing saga of the MacBean know, my last week was spent in Roanoke while love of my life remained at the Villa. A shriek over the phone is about the same as a shriek in person except the cause remains unknown which only adds to the suspense.

Evidently we had missed woods roach season last year. The bad thing about these critters, they are drawn to the light. The good thing, they are not to fond of the indoors. The other good thing is they seem to have only a short season. So roach season appears to be over and now it's tourist season.

I once worked with a woman whose last name was Roach. She was really nice but I think I would have added an umlaut or something.

20 Comments:

Blogger mreddie said...

Roaches are not loved by me and thought even less of by my Spice. We have a killer service that comes in about once a month so that we don't have to listen to the screams. :) ec

6:54 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Yipes! I suppose we have them but I haven't seen any. However, since we live in the forest, we have plenty of critters that I could do without.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

Oh, do I have a roach story...

http://texastrifles.blogspot.com/2005/08/fear-factor-in-cowtown-or-halloween.html

7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One winter we rented a cottage in Florida, at a marina. The whole place was sprayed often, for the roaches we were told.
We never saw a roach but we bought the plastic kind to scare our friends back home. Take my word for it the plastic ones were whoppers.

Betty G

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It said that roaches can survive a nuclear blast and fall out. Yikes. It would be nice if science created a predator for them.

aj

3:33 AM  
Blogger John Cowart said...

I live in Florida and I saw a roach once.

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never seen a roach although I've been told we have them where I live in Canada.
I've heard stories that they are so big in South America that the people there ride them in place of horses. But that story may not be true. Who really knows..

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm really glad we don't have them over here! Well, maybe in certain humans but that's all. And maybe in some restaurants kitchen, but not in peoples home. Pheeew.

I've only seen one once, a dead one laying out in the street in Spain, that's all. Never in any hotelroom we spent the night in either.

Maybe I'll get to see many now when I've said this.... *lol*

Hm... I guess I'll just have to drink that bottle of whiskey then, so it gets more fun to se them ;-)

Cheers to you both... or should I say... *lost counting*

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never saw a roach when I lived in the mountains but after I moved, I saw them far too often and I really REALLY hate them. Even dead they freak me out.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Please, please, PLEASE if you ever mention this particular subject again, let me know ahead of time. Wanda's shriek is NOTHING to my reaction even to the mention of these particular varmints.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh noooo. I had always hoped that if I ever retire and leave Florida, the roaches will be left behind! I've never heard of wood roaches, and evidently, I have a lot to learn. ughhhh!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Elisson said...

This post needs to go in the Carnival of the Cockroaches.

11:50 AM  
Blogger benning said...

I know about the roachly visits. Having a neighbor who houses quite a few roaches means that no matter who clean your own digs are, the neighbor roaches will come visit and try to set up camp.

And that includes fogging your own home. Apartments are like that. :(

8:21 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

We need a change of subject here....

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to think that you're so invaded by roaches that you've been forced to leave your home, maybe they even ate you....? *sobbing*

We miss you guys, hope you're roach free, healthy, happily kicking around :-)

2:38 AM  
Blogger benning said...

It's July now. Where are you? We're getting worried and somewhat annoyed at your absence!

We promise not to discuss roaches anymore. :D

7:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I, too, hope all is well with you.
Missing you, Betty G

8:58 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

I'm sure something bad has happened. Unfortunately we don't know his real name so none of us can uncover why he hasn't returned after more than two months. I live only a couple of hours from Groundhog Mountain, and we have some mutual acquaintances so I'll report back.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Yes, I think he mentioned Noyes as a last name, which would imply David Noyes and that's a start!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Fugitive located! He's alive and well. Changing jobs on the 5th of September. The insurance job created a "shutdown of positive synapse" hence the inactive blog :) Hopefully he will get out of his funk and start contributing to the virtual world again :)

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home