Friday, January 20, 2006

Cancel Thursday


Doe Run Resort is about a mile down the road. It has a good restaurant with fantastic views and condo's as well as villas. More on that later. It's just one segment of a day that started out great and went rapidly over the edge.

Wanda has been working the new job about a week and has been training with her manager. They meet at Micky D's and head off to knock on doors and pedal insurance. Since we only have dial up I have to wait for manager to call before I can go off blogging. OK, she finally calls, love of my life heads off to Hillsville, twenty miles or so down the road. I'm cheerfully commenting away when I hear the car on the drive. It's eleven thirty and my poor wife has been sitting in a parking lot for over an hour and a half waiting.

Our calls result in messages left on the unanswered cell. Wanda is in a tizzy because it's a morning wasted and I'm in a tizzy because "if something is wrong with my baby, something is wrong with me". Finally we get a call back with the information that she was there and didn't find Wanda. Now the tizzy has turned to pissed.

My wife, who by now, needless to say, is not in a good mood, says she's going to call on some friends and see if they can give her some leads. I'm off to Mt. Airy to resolve a paper towel and vodka crisis. I did find out booze is cheaper in North Carolina then Virginia. And if you read this Sandy, I got gizzards!

When I got home pissed had turned to depression. Our friend Randy, who has the art gallery, told her he's really up against it. Can't find work, no traffic in the gallery, and he's up here pretty much by himself. He said he was alone over the holidays. I said "why didn't he come over"? I guess he didn't want to mess up our holiday by crying on our shoulder. But what are friends for?

The homeowners at Doe Run rent their digs when they aren't using them. For many it's their second home. Randy lives there full time. The rental is handled by the people who own the restaurant and is seasonal. Well, the owners are rightly upset because when the restaurant owners closed they took all the linen, all the toilet paper, including the rolls in use, out of the units. Not only that, they had the phones turned off. So here come the residents to use their homes which are now sans phone, bed sheets, towels and t.p. Doe Run is no longer pleasantville.

Now we're depressed about Randy and our friends at Doe Run and the job. As with any story worth it's salt, when you think things can't get worse, they do. I found a nice round steak, marked down (going out of date) and since round steak has to be cooked a while decided to make German steak rolls. You know, with mustard, bacon, pickles, onion and then simmered in stock. I'd never made these for Wanda before but felt secure because I've never made anything she didn't like...until tonight.

She went to bed early.

One good thing did happen. I got a call from an upscale resort in Claudville, fairly close, where I had submitted an application. I've got to call them in the morning and arrange for an interview. Maybe some good will come out of this day yet.

The Nag Champa, the hot toddy (bourbon, honey, lemon and hot water) and this post are finished and so am I.

To bed.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dax Montana said...

Lurking...

9:21 PM  
Blogger Moogie said...

Good luck in Claudville! Be sure to keep us posted.

I'm sorry it was such a rough day for you and your sweetie. I hope things pick up soon.

5:13 AM  
Blogger GUYK said...

DAMN I hope it went better for you today.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I feel very sorry for Wanda - she will learn to rely on herself, not someone else. I hope she has a super great weekend, with you in tow.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave. Your comment to my lost post "Even Heisenberg admits that mearly by observing the result of the inquiry may be changed. I don't know what that has to do with "Lost." It has everything to do with "Lost!"

Your also right. I had 2 terms backwards. Scientific method could be seen as one approach to knowledge. One aspect of epistemology? Not 100% on that. I have not read a book on the subject in 15 years.

Hey. I went to USF. I drive a cab.

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home