Monday, January 16, 2006

Hillbillies and Heather

I didn't know I was of Scottish descent until a few years ago. I was born a Beane, of the Clan MacBean, and my mother changed my name after my father left and she remarried. Now I want a kilt of the MacBean tartan but it riles my ancestoral blood because they are so expensive, about $300 for the basic and up to over a thousand for the full outfit. Anyway, the Ulster-Scots, incorrectly called the Scots-Irish, along with my great-great-great Grandfather settled the Appalachains in the eighteenth centry. They were so crazy other groups avoided this area just to stay clear of them. Whisky was the currancy and they were pretty much a law unto themselves.

According to this, Redneck, hillbilly and cracker are of Scottish derivation.

3 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

A lot of those who settled in those mountains were run away indentured servanats-slaves you might say. Family legend holds that one my maternal ancestors did just that and wound up in the Smokey Mountains among the indians about 300 years ago.

10:32 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

My mother family has a history of indenture. It seems after visiting friends shipboard they didn't leave in time and found themselves far at sea. They were indentured to pay for their passage.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Binty McShae said...

The less-well-known the tartan, the more expensive the kilt. My full outfit cost me over 1000 pound sterling... over $1,700! You can, however, buy cheaper copies from certain clothes manufacturers in South East Asia. You just send them an example of your tartan and they'll knock one right up and post it to you at a fraction of the price! But judging by other posts on your blog you may not be into that idea...........

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home