Thursday, February 02, 2006

Brilliant, She's Absolutely Brilliant!

Well, the deer alert is over. The neighbors are up for the weekend and their dogs rousted a small doe who chose our driveway as the shortest route to the road. She then stood and watched us until the dogs caught up and then continued the merry chase down the mountain.

Love of my life has come up with a brilliant, absolutely brilliant, use for the leftover morning coffee. We've been putting it in a Mason jar (a necessity in this part of the world) until we get enough to reduce to about half and then add sugar. Now a little of this syrupy stuff and some milk and instant Starbucks, only better. And even better than that some, vodka and instant Kaluah, only better. So I made some Black Russians when we got home from church about nine last night. Along with that we had some home made pickled beets (like, most of the jar) some nice lady gave us yesterday. She also gave us some apple butter, grape and crab apple jelly and some canned stingbeans. As a result of this rather unorthodox supper neither of us slept very well.

I saw Wanda coming out of the ladies house with a box and my immediate thought was, "Cripes, another cat"! But no, it was food which to my mind is much better than another cat. People are so nice around here.

It's a late start and we're driving to Blacksburg to do the insurance thing. I'll try to remember the camera this time to get some pics of the beautiful countryside.

6 Comments:

Blogger mreddie said...

I've done the unorthdox supper thing in many variations and none of them work out to a good night's sleep. :) Will be looking for the photos. ec

8:23 AM  
Blogger GUYK said...

I usually east a pint of those homemade picked beets if I ever get start on them. My mom used to put them up in pint jars only to find my brother and I made short work of them and started to pickle them in quart jars. We also devoured the pickled peachs about as fast as she would let us open a quart of them

8:37 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I've canned a lot of pickled beets - better than anything you buy in town. Mine are a little sweeter, in a 'Yale Sauce'.

I still have canned pickle relish, salsa, and applesauce from last year. And, tons of jams and jellies. You get a better tasting product, doing it yourself.

And, when I cook a chicken, if I don't use the broth, I'll boil it with all the bones and left-overs. That makes a nice gelatinous broth, and I preserve and can it in Mason jars. I always have chicken broth that way. Better than that thin, flat tasting stuff in the store(thats mostly salt and water).

9:38 AM  
Blogger D L Ennis said...

"As a result of this rather unorthodox supper neither of us slept very well." Man, I think that supper would have killed me! Beets alone would do me in; I had a very bad experience with them when I was a kid.
DL

11:37 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Mr. E., usually things don't bother me. But since I've gotten older coffee will keep me awake.

Pickeled beets never last long around here. Once we start there's no stopping. Now you've got me thinking I've got to find a recipe for the peaches.

You need to post the recipe, Bonita. Canning is a culture of it's own around here. Wanda put up about a dozen jars of peaches. You can imagine how she felt when the lady showed her the 75 foot long cellar wall with nothing but shelves of assorted canned goods. I have jar of chicken stock I made in the fridge now. Your right about the store bought, mostly salt.

D L, you have my sympathy. Anyone who can't enjoy pickeled beets has my sympathy.

8:45 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Second reply directed at you, Guy.
It's late, I'm tired. Not a sound sleep last night, you know.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home