Thursday, January 26, 2006

Waiter! OH, WAITER!!!

I've been a waiter. It's a job that I enjoyed not only because people give you money for doing your job but there was a real pleasure (most of the time) in the immediate gratification providing a successful dining experience. The 90% rule was always in effect; that is, nine out of ten people are really nice, the other one is a real wanker.

A good waiter is made up of a combination of skills. He must be personable but not overly friendly. Knowledge of the menu is a must, not only the item but the ingredients and the cooking method. There is the whole language of wine to be learned. Patience with the finger snappers and the kids dropping food all over the station which he must clean. Three tables demanding attention simultaneity. The kitchen having a bad night and the abuse chefs are notorious for. Balancing a tray loaded with dinners while negotiating a crowded room and some guy asking for a match and not kidding. Making sure the his tables are correctly set and the silver and glassware are spotless. Folding hundreds of napkins. Collecting from a twelve top who all insist on separate checks. All of this while calmly smiling and making sure the patrons in his charge have a absolutely wonderful time even though the kitchen is on fire and the bartender just walked out and the busser, completely stoned, is trying to put the make on the salad girl.

It is with this in mind I refer you, dear readers, to Waiter Rant. Anyone who can pull over a hundred comments on their posts has to be saying something. Shoot, in the time it takes to post a comment three or four have jumped in. Anyway, he's been nominated as one of five best blogs at the Sixth Annual Bloggies and I may be prejudiced but I think he deserves to win. He's up against some big guns so your vote will be appreciated. So while I run to the storeroom looking for that Hosin Sauce for your rare, but not pink, tuna, take a minute to lift the finger and vote for a very entertaining professional.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I wasn't a waiter, but I did serve up food in a nursing home, on a trayline - over 200 meals served at once. That job taught me so much about production and time.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not been a waiter put I do work for tips. Good tipping can make my day sometimes.

Dave. I want to thank you for the quality of your comments on my blog. They are always constructive and informative. I look forward to reading them.

Unfortunatly, many bloggers ,either because they are young or selfish are just simply assholes. Sorry. I could not think of another word for them.

I guess thats the risk you take when enter the game. I will not delite a post unless it simply a rude comment.

12:25 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

I've done the nursing home thing, Bonita, no salt, puried vegies and meat, lots of jello, ets. We would do up to 8 or 9 hundred at a time when I was working banquets. It's a conveyer belt witha production line. A regular food factory.

Thanks for your very kind comment, Tim.
Those tips sure come in handy when your hacking. I had one sweet 85 year old lady who lived at the Carlton Towers in St. Pete. who used to pay me with $50. travelers checks. But then I made sure to take good care of her when she went with me.
I know what you mean about the trolls, we all get them occasionly and the best thing to do is hit the delete button. But as you say it's part of the game.
Your photos are the bomb and I can visit my hometown without having to put up with the traffic. Brings back lots of good memories.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am fairly new at this blogging so I tried "next blog' and came up with yours.
I read it all the way down and enjoyed every one.
I have never worked in a restaurant, did good to cook for our five children and the two of us.
80 years old, married 60 1/2 years like the say, "all with one owner."
I have to wish you a long life with your precious wife.
Sincerely, Betty

5:56 PM  
Blogger GUYK said...

I never did the waiter bit all though I have worked some as a short order cook and pearl diver. But I spent a lot of hours behind the bar. Back when I was on active duty overseas the bar tending jobs were about the only part time jobs available. I didn't really like to tend bar although at times the tips were good. I did manage a rod and gun club one time where I had the responsibility for the bar, kitchen, sales room, and booking bands for six nights a week. It was an eye opening experience for me and I found out that it wasn't my cup of coffee. I did well-we made money and that is what determines success in that business. But it was hard work and too damn many hours.

5:14 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Those hours managing in the hospitality industry are killers, Guy. Sixty and seventy hour weeks were not unusual. It's a profession that one must truly love and if they don't should find another job.
Bartending is one of my favorite jobs.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home