Saturday, January 20, 2007

Flowering After Six Years



When I bought this orchid about six years ago it had one beautiful bloom which, because the conditions were not right, soon withered. Since our row house at the time had no windows with a good sunny exposure, for the better part of four years it lived on the cabinet in the bathroom where it got lots of moisture from Wanda's many long hot showers. It thrived there but only in the leaf department.

There was ample light coming through the window but not enough to sustain the one bloom or invite others.


Since moving to the mountain it's lived on the deck in the summer and in front of the glass doors during the cold weather.



Now it appears to have several buds appearing out of the center of the two large leaves. My knowledge of orchids is somewhat limited. I have a suspicion that light conditions must just right for them to bloom. If that's the case then this fellas not moving from his present home.

Flowers are not your typical orchid variety on this plant. When it does put on a show I'll post pictures. That way your anticipation will be like mine as we patiently wait for the plant that hasn't bloomed in six years. Just a hint (and for orchid fanciers, a give-a-way) it's a Golddigger.

6 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

I generally amconsidered to have a somewhat green thumb..but I never had much luck with them..did have a couple years ago in a terrerium type thing that bloomed once in a great while

6:31 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

In my drafty old barn of a house I don't think orchids would do well; looking forward to seeing the show!

Glad you're back; haven't been over in awhile and had some catching up to do!

7:13 AM  
Blogger threecollie said...

I can't wait to see....I love plants.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it had yellow flowers with red "lip" in the middle of the flower, it could be an Orchid Jungle, (Cattleya). If it is, it use too bloom in March.

I had saved this info earlier:

Winter daytime temps 75 to 85 F, night temperatures should not fall below 60 F. Summer temps can be 10 degrees warmer. It's the 10 degree temperature drop at night which helps the plants to produce flower buds.

Other good things for orchids:

- Humidity 50-60% (bathroom is good)

- Spray a fine mist of water daily

- Put the pot on a tray filled with gravel and water

- Water 1-2 times a week (up to 10-14 days, depending on how big the pot is and if it's summer or winter). Allow it to dry out slightly between waterings

- Lights: 4 x 40 w fluorescent tubes and 2 x 40 w incandescent bulbs directly over plants minimum of 12 hours per day

- - Bright /not direct light in an east- west - or south-facing window with light shadow

- Fertilize weekly (half the amount they recommend of special orchid fertilizer)

- Repot after 1-2 years, best just
before new roots sprout from the rhizome after flowering or in the spring

Good luck, I'm looking forward to see it blooming later on :-)

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to clear that earlier comment from me: A Golddigger 'Orchid Jungle'.

7:22 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Guy, you could get anything to grow if you put your mind to it.

Come on Leslie, I've seen your house and it can't be that drafty.

You'll have to just be patient, like me (HAH) 3C.

Thanks for all the good information, Mrs. L. Now I know where to go when I need advice on plants. Between you and Guy I've got it made.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home