Sunday, December 11, 2005

Parkway, Sunday Morning

This is a spot on the Blue Ridge Parkway just north of Mabry Mill. It must not get much sun as ice forms in October and I've seen it there in March. The condition of the road is apparent. Not many cars on the Parkway and a winter quiet. Slow going except where the sun had warmed. I was told by "the Midget" the feds don't plow until it's about a foot deep. They close it rather then plow it.
Before some one calls the PC police, "the Midget" is "Grannys" brother. He's not really a midget, just short and one happy individual. The family is from these mountains and LOML and I met them when we were working up at Doe Run before the resort closed for the season. Grannys father was talking to me this morning at the little church invited us to attend. I'm sorry, but I didn't understand a word that mountain man was saying.
This little country church we've been to twice is in Willis, just down Rt. 221 from Dugspur. I don't know the denomination, like it really matters. Yes, kids we're in the Bible belt but so far both sermons I've caught have been about discipleship. The small congregation, about 30 today, are genuinely warm and friendly. These are not newcomers to this area and it is a real joy getting to know them.
To get there we take a winding mountain road past Slate Mountain where we had looked at at house. It was a cute little place with a balcony of the upstairs bedroom that overlooked the valley. But the operative word here is "small" and it needed work. Love of my life looked up in the living room and exclaimed, "look, exposed beams". I replied, "those are floor joists". The lot was small also but there was a lot of slate.
The road offers many views of Buffalo Mountain, small streams and branches, pasturelands, farm homes and cabins, all accented today by a light dusting of snow. This is a beautiful part of the world regardless of season.

2 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

Ice is pretty all right but I prefer to get it out of my ice marker in the freezer

5:59 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

(I like your correction: support struts.) Not easy, this house-hunting.

Your little church around the bend sounds like a sweet little haven.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home