Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Tuesday Roasty Roast

I'm plagiarizing the following because I don't rememer the source. but it's thinking about Michael Caine, who is Cockney got me thinking about it.

A peculiar kind of slang, known as Cockney rhyming slang, evolved in England. It's distinguishing mark is the use of paired words, or compound phrases, in which the last word rhymes with the word actually meant. Thus, for instance, instead of saying "head", a Cockney might say, "I hit him in the loaf of bread".

To Increase the fun and confusion, once the phrase has become common, the first word of the phrase can be used to suggest the entire phrase, and at a second level of indirection, the original word.Thus the Cockney's victim might simply be hit "in the loaf". And what was used for the hitting? Why the Cockney's Germans - that is, his German bands - that is , his hands!

Some examples:
SHORT/ LONG /RHYME/ MEANING
almonds /almond rocks /socks
ball /ball of chalk/ walk
Barney/ Barney Rubble /trouble
titfer/ tit-for-tat /hat
Zorba/ Zorba the Greek /a leak /to urinate
farmers/ Farmer Giles /piles/ hemorrhoids
haricot/ haricot bean/ queen/ an effeminate homosexual
jekylls /Jekylls and Hydes /strides /pants
cobblers/ cobbler's awls/ balls /testicles
arfer/ Arthur Rank /wank /to masturbate
fleas and itchers /pitchers /the cinema
the baked bean /the Queen

and some of my favorites:

bottle/ bottle and glass /ass
brass/ brass nail /tail
Bristols/ Bristol Cities /breasts

and my alltime favorite:

Donald /Donald Duck

There more, much more, but enough, this lemon squeezer (geezer), gotta Scapa, Scapa Flow, like go.

2 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

gotdam. no wonder I don't know what they are saying most of the time

5:09 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have read of this kind of slang before, but I think I'd have to be immersed in the culture much more to really get it.

Seems like you live in a pretty interesting area.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home