Friday, February 17, 2006

The Horror...Redux


There are few things I enjoy more than a spirited, intelligent discussion. When it turns up on one of my posts I feel my blog time is well spent. Such is the case with The Horror post I did a while back. The comments by Bonita , Sean , Binty McShea, and Benning are all worth reading.

Freedom of speech is one of the fantastic things about this country. We can all express our opinion without fear. And the great thing is that in most cases we can still respect ourselves in the morning. Just because we don't always agree with each other does not make the other guy a bad person. He or she just has a different opinion and that opinion, right or wrong, is as valid as our own. It is through discussion that we form our ideas, it is through research we validate those ideas.

One thing about blogging is it brings a wealth of opinions and ideas. We gravitate to those people with whom we have common interests. But it's nice occasionally to step away from that comfort zone and see what's out there in the woods. The hero is never the one who stays sheltered in his or her own comfortable surroundings but rather the one who risks leaving what he or she knows and venturing out into the unknown.

Maybe if the democrat and republican leaders of this country ventured out beyond the beltway and into the highways and hedges of America we might find a few heroes among them. Anything is possible, but some things not probable.

What started as a referral to some excellent comments just turned into a rant. Go figure?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said :-)

Discussion is a good thing. The only problem is that certain people can't tolerate a different oropposite opinion without being angry. I have never understood that. I can discuss, even loudly, but I'm never angry at the person with the opposite opinion. I can still hang out with them and consider them as friends, but some people can't.

It's their lost I guess....

1:14 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Being a political centrist, I enjoy spirited discussion because I like to challenge my own positions as much as I enjoy challenging opposing ideas. I agree with MacBean Gene, it takes courage to expose your views to the world and invite some amount of opposition.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry, this doesn't answer your post but I wanted to tell you your snow pictures are absolutely beautiful, and more so enlarged. I just learned that I can click on them for that. Something new all the time!! Thank you for posting them!!! We aren't getting the snow here in Wisconsin that we usually have.
And, by the way, I am a Republican, through and through, and never seem to agree with anyone else!!!
See you, Betty G

9:05 PM  
Blogger Binty McShae said...

I agree with Sean.

In addition to getting involved (heatedly, on occasion!) with a variety of blogs, people have often asked why I read a newspaper affiliated with political views in opposition to mine. It's simple - why read something that I can just sit back and agree with, no effort. What do I gain from that? At worst by reading opposing ideals I can "know my enemy". At best I can continue to learn and grow - I may not change my opinions completely but there is always room for refinement!

11:08 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Mrs l., nice to hear from you. Many people are very insecure in themselves and to challenge their ideas is more tham they can bear.

We don't always know what we're inviting when we express ourselves out here in the blog word,Sean, but whatever it is can't get us with anything more than words which at worst can be deleted. At best it produces what this post is all about.

It's snowing again and I'll post some more pics, Betty. I don't like either party but some of my best friends are Republican.

Heatedly? Not you, Binty! I enjoy reading periodicals and such I dont't agree with it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who writes down stupid thoughts.

Hmmm, Aly, opining, now I lake the sound of that. My wife says I "opine" a lot. She's always right you know.

Bonita? Where are you?

6:16 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Hi Dave, I'm here, just swamped getting things ready for a going away party for my daughter....

I really like this topic, and you've mirrored my thoughts, exactly when it comes to the blending of opinions, the mix. It is absolutely necessary to promote consultation and various viewpoints, because all of them contribute essential information. One of the pleasures of blogging is finding un-like minded people, getting into their heads, and discovering WHY they think as they do....that I enjoy the most, because then I get the whole person as well. I'm sure you know what I mean. Like minded people are redundant, and, I crave a little mischief! I want something entirely new.

10:51 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

It's always nice to hear from you Bonita. Just think what a boring world this would be if we all thought alike.
I guess Benning is enjoying the Florida sunshine.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home