Thursday, February 16, 2006

"There's Always Been Starkadders At Cold Comfort Farm"

"Cold Comfort Farm" is one of our favorite movies. It's the story of what can be accomplished when one has a positive attitude. It's very funny and has a fantastic cast.



Eileen Atkins
Judith Starkadder
....
Kate Beckinsale
Flora Poste
....
Sheila Burrell
Ada Doom
....
Stephen Fry
Mybug
....
Freddie Jones
Adam Lambsbreath
....
Joanna Lumley
Mrs. Mary Smiling
....
Ian McKellen
Amos Starkadder
....
Miriam Margolyes
Mrs. Beetle
....
Rufus Sewell
Seth Starkadder
....
Ivan Kaye
Reuben Starkadder
....
Jeremy Peters
Urk
....
Maria Miles
Elfine Starkadder
....
Christopher Bowen
Charles Fairford
....
Louise Rea
Meriam Beetle
....
Sophie Revell
Rennet
....
(more)

Ian McKellen's sermon to the faithfull is as follows and Wanda and I at the least opportunity shout in unison "And there'll be no butter in hell".

"Ye miserable, crawlin' worms. Are ye here again then? Have ye come like Nimshi, son of Rehoboam, secretly out of your doomed houses, to hear what's comin' to ye? Have ye come, old and young, sick and well, matrons and virgins, if there be any virgins amongst you, which is not likely, the world being in the wicked state that it is. Have ye come to hear me tell you of the great, crimson, licking flames of hell fire? Aye! You've come, dozens of ye. Like rats to the granary, like field mice when it's harvest home. And what good will it do ye? You're all damned! Damned! Do you ever stop to think what that word means? No, you don't. It means endless, horrifying torment! It means your poor, sinful bodies stretched out on red-hot gridirons, in the nethermost, fiery pit of hell and those demons mocking ye while they waves cooling jellies in front of ye. You know what it's like when you burn your hand, taking a cake out of the oven, or lighting one of them godless cigarettes? And it stings with a fearful pain, aye? And you run to clap a bit of butter on it to take the pain away, aye? Well, I'll tell ye, there'll be no butter in hell!"

Sounds like something Bane would write only he'd not use the "H" word. Who knows, maybe he did.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

What? No butter in Hell?

Just coconut oil, I suppose...better for roasting, anyway.

I haven't seen this movie - guess I'd better hit Blockbuster...

9:34 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Aye, no butter in hell. Using my best accent, I repeated the sermon to my daughter - we both smiled much. Haven't seen the movie, sounds like I need to. :) ec

10:15 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

It's a good one. Double your butter back if you don't like it.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Never even heard of it, but I'll be sure to look for it now.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I think I saw that movie along time ago with my aunt. But since I can't remember then it is a good time to watch it again. I always like to wait to watch a movie twice until I have forgotten most of it. :)

4:55 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Miss Jay, welcome to Villa MacBeane on Groundhog Mountain. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
A.D., I'm surprised Bonita hasn't jumped in on this one. She seems to be several steps ahead of me on most things.
I swear this word verification just gets longer and longer. Maybe it's time for haloscan.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Ha, you've overestimated me, Dave, I've never heard of this! But I would love to see it, and to hear the language. Blockbuster is around the corner, I'll give it a whirl.

7:39 AM  
Blogger D L Ennis said...

Hey Dave, this really is a great movie! My wife and I have seen it a few times.
DL

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home