Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Grandmothers Green Beans

My mothers side of the family is Pennsylvania Dutch. Amish Mennonites, to be exact, who bought their land from Wm. Penn. Mom has always been proud of the fact that her blood is pure Swiss. I however am a mixed breed. Anyway, I got this recipe from her Mother, my Grandmother, and it's a hit whenever I do it.

About 2 pounds of green beans
four or five slices of bacon cut into pieces
one large onion diced
half a cup or so of vinegar

Put ingredients in a pot and simmer for six or seven hours until the beans are limp.

That's it.

4 Comments:

Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

You sound like my wife. The natural sugars in the ingredients come out.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, how I have dreamed to hear someone praise green beans cooked this way.
The only way I will eat them!!!
Thanks,
Betty G

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never tasted that one, but maybe I have to some day now!!!!

*drooling heavily*

7:19 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

The only problem I see with Mrs. L. doing this dish is that the long simmering would take second place to the hungry monster.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home