Sunday, August 27, 2006

Marion, Virginia


For the past month or so we've been working in the town of
Marion, Virginia in Smyth County. That charming little town was the site of one of the few American Civil War battles to be fought in southwest Virginia. The Battle of Marion was the result of a raid into that area known a Stonemans Raid and was a successful attempt to destroy the lead mines around Marion and the salt works at the town of Saltville. Our area of Virginia saw little action in the war as can be seen from the map. That was probably due to the mountainous terrain and the few strategic locations.


Our home is in Partick County indicated by "Pat." on the map. We are on that little hump that extends into "Car." or Carroll county and right on the line. I can throw a rock from my back yard into the latter. As you can see, Marion is a bit of a drive of about 80 miles.

One of the numerous atrocities of, as we in the south have termed, "the late unpleasantness" was the massacre at Saltville of members of the 5th Regiment Cavalry during this campaign. This unit was composed of freed black men from Kentucky.

Our time in Marion has been much less adventurous. It is a picturesque town which is among other things, the final resting place of author Sherwood Anderson. Sitting at about 4000 ft. elevation it boasts some of the most beautiful country in the Blue Ridge region. More important there is a good Japanese restaurant with a reasonable sushi lunch special.

7 Comments:

Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Yeah, Kasia, some of the surrounding towns are, Sugar Grove, Chilhowie (Cherokee for "valley of many deer"), Adwolf, Groseclose, Seven Mile Ford and Atkins. All of them quiet and scenic.

5:29 AM  
Blogger fred said...

Hi Dave,

You piqued my curiosity with the 4000 foot elevation fact. We lived in Wytheville just the road, and while I remembered some mild elevation change between Wville and Marion on I81, I had to use Google Earth to confirm: Marion's elevation along the interstate corridor is about 2500 feet. The closest peak to 4000 ft is probably in the Iron Mt range 15 miles south toward the Mt Rogers area--some of my favorite country in the Blue Ridge.

Safe travels, what with winter coming in not so many months.

6:40 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Hi Fred, nice to see your paying attention. The 4000 ft. was on the word of a fellow I encountered in the Chilhowie area. I guess with all the traveling 15 or so miles seems just like the suburbs. I agree, the counry around there can be very captivating.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting town and post, but I do have to admit that this post have two words in it that I don't like.....

Battle and sushi. Despite the fact that I'm the hungry monster, or maybe just because of that, I've never liked Sushi. The monster just don't get satiesfied with Sushi. I'm still hungry.

And now I have to eat. Again ;-)

4:13 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Is commuting that far a significant burden? If you get to make the trip with your wife then you can of course have good conversation and be in good company, but if it were me, and I found a great job that I loved in Marion that I wanted to keep for the forseeable future, then I'd move to Marion. I know, it's alot easier said than done :)

6:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad to see you have been okay and have returned to us, your blogging buddies.
Now, I hope we both stay in the mix. Sure good to be missed but even better to be noticed!!

See you,
Betty G

11:02 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Well, Mrs L. I'm glad it's not the quality rather quantity that you object to about sushi. The special I refer to in the post gives one soup, salad and twelve pieces of sushi for $6.99. It's quite a satisfying lunch for anyone but a hungry monster.
As for battles, the only thing that comes to mind is Wellingtons quote after Waterloo, the next thing sadder to a battle lost is a battle won.

Unfortunatly, Sean, the job we were doing in Marion was still connected with the unbearable insurance company. I enjoy being with my wife but her favorite place to sleep is in the car on long drives. Our first trip to Florida she dozed off as we left Baltimore and slept through four states.

Hi, Betty, I was really touched by the concern shown by my absence. I'm glad you are still with it and hope you are getting settled in after the move.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home