Saturday, October 14, 2006

My Baby Can Sing!

I may have mentioned before that I sing badly. I will be in church singing a hymn praising the Lord when I will hear my darling wife next to me laughing. That's right she laughs at my singing and I don't blame her. I know I can't sing worth a hoot. I am known to "make a joyful noise to the Lord". "Noise" being the operative word. And if it brings some humor into her life I don't mind. I think one of the reasons she married me is because she finds my singing so funny.

Wanda, on the other hand, sings beautifully in a strong alto voice. She let it be known at church (with a little encouragement) she could sing. Now keep in mind our church might be small in numbers but it is large in talent. About a half a dozen of the congregation sing or play semi-professionally. But then we are in the worlds capitol of bluegrass music. Galax held the 72nd annual old fiddlers convention several months ago. The Lonesome River Band is from right down the road in Meadows of Dan and fellow blogger, Leslie, At The Top of Squirrel Spur has a brother Sammy, who plays a mean banjo with that group. There is bluegrass and country music around every curve and folks, we got a lot of curves. Around here if a kid doesn't play some instrument or sing by the time they leave the playpen there's a problem. Anyway needless to say my darling wife, in between chuckling at my singing, felt somewhat intimidated about doing a solo in the face of all this musical talent.

Now love of my life is a master of excuses. She can come up with them faster than people can ask her why. This fellow Jeff, who is one good singer lent her a CD to a song she really likes and she practiced and made excuses. The preacher would add little footnotes in his sermons (while looking at you know who) about people who could sing and didn't and how he was being denied of his blessing. Finally, several Sundays ago after the congregation (really) stomped their feet and chanted Wanda, Wanda, Wanda, I committed her (that didn't sound quite right)... I made her promise to sing the following week. As the pastors wife said, she really doesn't know how good she is, and she doesn't.

So last Sunday she sang, "They Don't Understand", a Sawyer Brown song lent to her by Jeff:

A mother riding on a city bus
And the kids are yelling kicking up a fuss
Everybody's staring not knowing what she's going through.
Someone said, "Don't you even care and do you let them do that everywhere?"
She slowly turned around looked up and stared.

She said, "Please forgive them but they've been up all night.
Their Father struggled but he finally lost his fight.
He went to Heaven in the middle of the night.
So, please forgive my children."
They don't understand.

Chorus
Everybody's busy with their own situation
Everybody's lost in their own little world.
Bottled up , hurried up.
Trying to make a dream come true.
They don't understand.
Everybody's living like there ain't no tomorrow.
Maybe we should stop and take a little time
Cause you never know what your neighbors going through.
They don't understand.

A man driving on the interstate.
Slowing down traffic making everybody wait.
Everybodys staring not knowing what he's going through.
Someone honked form the passing lane.
Yelled out the window, "I ain't got all day."
The old man looked around and he caught his eye.
He said, "Please forgive me.
You know it's been a long life.
My wife has passed away and my kids don't have the time.
I've been left all alone and it's getting hard to drive.
So, please forgive me, children
They don't understand.

A man hanging on a wooden cross.
Giving everything to save the lost.
Everybody's staring not knowing what He's going through.
Somebody said,"You don't have a prayer.
If you're a king come on down from there."
The man just turned His head, looked up and stared.
He said, "Please forgive them for they have not seen the light.
They'll come to know me when I come back to life.
I go to Heaven to make everything all right,
So, please forgive Your children,
They don't understand.

After church a friend of ours asked her if she would sing at the opening of his new warehouse. She sings once and already she's got a gig! Today a warehouse, tomorrow, who knows what!

5 Comments:

Blogger mreddie said...

Sounds good - there may be a record contract out there somewhere in the future. ec

6:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the words of that soulfl song.
And I know you appreciate your wife's voice. I can just imagine her singing that song.

Thank you,
Betty G

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats to Wanda - and to you, it must be wonderful to have such a wonderful wife ;-)

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that song...the kids have it on a CD that they play while we work. Would love to hear your missus sing it. Bet she was wonderful!

8:16 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Who knows, Mr. E. Whereever the Lord leads.

YOur welcome, Betty. I'm not the only one who appreciates her voice. But it's really nice when she breaks into an unexpected song for a private performance.

Well you should know how wonderful it is to have a wonderful spouse, Mrs. L. From what I hear Mr. L certainly falls into that catagory. Just hope he can sing.

I wish everyone could hear Wanda sing, 3C. It's such a blessing. And I never realized just how popular that song is.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home