Friday, February 24, 2006

Unanswered Prayers


Mt. Zion Lutheran Church is located in a scenic mountain setting just outside of Wytheville, Virginia. My GGG Grandfather married my GGG Grandmother there in 1786. The original wooden church has been replaced by this brick structure.

Last night Wanda and I drove to Wytheville (pronounced "Withvul") for a meeting with the insurance poobah. It seems they are looking at her and several others for a management positions. Significant others are encouraged to attend these sessions so everyone is aware of what they are getting themselves into. We were treated to dinner at Applebees. Now I remember why I don't like Applebees.

There is an interesting study in time and distance in this drive. It takes us about 45 minutes to drive to our church about twenty miles down the hilly, curving mountain roads. It takes less time to drive the 40 or so miles to Wytheville because most of the trip is on I-77.

Lucky Thursday, the 23rd doesn't appear to have been so lucky. We met with little or no success in the insurance rounds and the prayers (for which I was thankful) for the job at Sears came to naught when the owner called to say he had decided not to hire at this time. We did see some more of the beautiful countyside and got dinner out (even if it was at Applebees).

The question now became (after I got through whining about not getting a job) was why didn't God answer my prayer. And this wasn't the first time. But then I got to thinking some more and if I couldn't remember any prayers not answered, how important were they? Then some more thinking and I did remember how blessed I am and what if God had answered those forgotten prayers would I be so blessed today. We really don't know what is best for us and what wonderful things the good Lord has in store and that if we are given everything we asked for how much more insufferable we would be than we are already. So as with everything I'll just leave it up to Him to sort out. It is so much easier that way.

Maybe it was lucky Thursday afterall.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Job hunting can be an ordeal, but it also is a fun investigation of possibilities. I tell my kids to find something where they can 'learn on the job' if they do not want acadamic training...there is always something good there. I hope you find something that will fit your needs.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Exactly!!! But sometimes it is hard, isn't it? Maybe I don't pray with much zeal because I pray and then let it go to God, unless He tells me to act.
I hope you listen for God, and I know some people say God tells them to do evil, but they aren't hearing this from God!!
Anyway, I love it when God tells me to act!!!
I also love to ramble on and on!!
See you, Betty G

1:52 PM  
Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

You may not have been a victim, but age discrimination is alive and fierce in these here parts...

Hang tough, but hang loose. Maybe self-entrepaneuring might be an answer? What do you do well? (*besides blog *grin)

3:04 PM  
Blogger Janie said...

Oh, yes, I so agree with you about unanswered prayers. Our God is so wonderful and knows what is best for us. Blessings, Janie Marie

6:48 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

One of our daughters lived in Pittsburgh for a couple of years and we always drove through Wytheville in our passage. It seems I remember an old country song about thanking God for unanswered prayers. ec

9:12 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Good thoughts, Bonita, Right now I just need something to keep me active (could hardly get my dress pants buttoned)and bring in a few bucks.

Hi, boop, God never instructs evil. I listen for that still small voice.

I had that age discrimination thought, but then I said since I look only 29 it can't be that. :)
Around here I'd be more suspicous of outsider discrimination. Thanks for the compliment and I've been trying to think of things I do well other than sleep.

Welcome to Groundhog Mountain, Country Gospel Singer. You should feel right at home here. This is, seriously, the mountain music capitol of the world.

Mr E. always nice to hear from you. I've been having flashbacks about the song also. Maybe Janie Marie can enlighten us.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

LOL I hate to admit this one! But the only song that I know is by Garth Brooks: Unanswered Prayers. Cowtown Pattie is from Texas; bet she has heard that song. LOL It was a good song. Does anyone else know a hymn? LOL

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home