Saturday, March 18, 2006

Attack of The Purple Gang


Our bird feeder has been discovered by the Purple Finches. They have taken over. The Titmice and Chickadees are bullied into lurking in the trees and rhododendron to wait until the gang of these beautiful birds gives them a chance to eat. This morning we counted eight pairs with their buddies waiting in the trees.
Also among the growing population of birds visiting us were several Red Bellied Woodpeckers . These guys stay mostly on the trees but occasionally swoop down to grab some sunflower seeds.

We've now spotted Goldfinch at the feeder and hopping around on the deck after the sunflower seeds I throw around to attract the ground feeders. It's, I'm told, not such a good idea because the other ground feeder it attracts is the Black Bear. The winter or Dark Eyed Juncos wander around just outside our front door and feast to their little hearts content.

It's peculiar how the birds are for the most part no longer bothered by our cat. They seem to know she old and can't move very fast (like me) and that a large pane of glass keeps them safe. The purple finches are kind of skittish. I've been trying to get a pic of them with my miserable digital camera but I can't get close enough.

We had a nice visit with our neighbors last night. Bill and Sara and their dog, Jack have just completed their third home up here in our community and invited us over. It's a beauty with Brazilian Cherry floors and a view of the valley that stretches to Greensboro, about 50 miles away, on a good day. He said the flooring was from, you guessed it, China. They buy the wood in Brazil, mill it on shipboard, finish it in China and then send it here, to Galax. Three dollars a square foot. Go figure. Anyway after that digression, Bill said he thought he saw a female Bald Eagle. That would be really neat. He's looking now, as I am, for the male.

That's going to be it for this morning. It's a beautiful day on Groundhog Mountain, sunny with the temps in the 50's. Too nice to spend in our "media room". TV, bookshelf and computer. That's a media room isn't it?

Just a footnote. I will be leaving for Richmond, Va, capitol of Virginia, former capitol of the Confederate States of America (hand over heart) as well as the home of Edgar Allen Poe before he died in Baltimore . Sunday evening to attend school. I'm growing up to be a licensed insurance agent. Hey, it pays the bills. I'll probably post something before I go but if I don't get a chance, it will be recess time until Friday, kids. Have fun and don't fall off the monkey bars!

That should be enough links to keep you busy till I get back.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Funny how different the birds are at our feeders, with what, ten miles between us? I'm seeing a dwindling population of finches, but the purple and/or house finches have been here off and on all winter (I'm lousy at identification). The goldfinches have been here all winter, too, in their off-season disguises. Blue jays, the occasional woodpecker, and that sneaky nuthatch or whatever he is that won't let me get a good look. Titmice are still here but I haven't seen so much of the chickadees. Lots of juncos and doves all winter long. This is the first year I've seen red-winged blackbirds at the feeders, although they stay in the fields all summer.

The birds here don't pay any attention to the outside cats, or to me when I sit right by the window, where a favorite feeder is fastened to the wall.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pheeew... that kept me busy for a while yes :-) especially since our internet connection is on/off all the time....

Now Im jealous, I want to see that birds too!!!!!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

We are birdwatchers too - thousands migrate here for the winter. BTW, have a great trip...

3:34 PM  
Blogger John Cowart said...

After years of dedicated bird watching and a shelf full of books, I can identify big birds as opposed to little birds -- so I especially enjoy your photos and posts.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home