Friday, March 17, 2006

The Gang Of Four

My long time friend, Ruth, at Reflections By Ra has tagged me, again. People, stop tagging Ruth, please! I am very fond of Ruth and her husband, Mr. G.Q. G. has new job at the Ritz Carlton. We wish him well.
It's the four thing meme. I know you've seen it before so here's a glipse into the life of your humble scribe.

Four Jobs I've Had
1. Taxi driver
2. Lawn care
3. Cook
4. Hotel night manager
Kind of mundane, I know, but these were all at the same time. Needless to say the lawn care and cook were part time and I could sleep at the hotel job. Now wasn't that exciting? Wait, there's more.

Four Movies I Watch Over and Over:
(I think I'm doing this right)
1. Oh Brother Where Art Thou
2. Master and Commander
3. Cold Comfort Farm
4. Road to Perdition
There's more, Wanda and I are movie freaks. We play a game with each other. In the course of conversation we'll throw in a quote from a movie and then the other has to name the movie. Like
"I know you, I know you"
"What a wonderful modern age we live in"
" The golden orb"
" He's playin' that hippity hop music"
" Gravites !"
" I shoot the dead"
I'll give the answers at the end. You can hardly wait but the answers after you suffer through the rest of this thing.

Four Places I've Lived
1. Sunset Beach, Florida
2. Urbana, Indiana.
3. Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska
4. Monroe, Louisiana
Actually, I didn't do much living at Offutt, it was more of an existence. Urbana was not urban. Monroe was college. Sunset Beach where I grew up was the best. It's changed now, the Driftwood Bar where the beach bums and the druggies used to celebrate the sunset is now the Caddy Shack and has valet parking.

Four TV Shows I Watch:
1. CSI
2. Law and Order (that should count as four right there)
3. Today
4. North Carolina Weekend
I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage here. We don't have cable or dish so if the antenna is'nt picking it up I'm not watching. When we did have cable it was a lot of home improvement shows. Those two guys in Canada who were forever working on their cabin and always ran into the problems we all encounter as DIYers were one of my favorites. So was Emeril and Debbie Travis.

Four Websites.
I try to get through my blog roll daily. As the thing seems to be multiplying (I just can't leave it alone for a minute) it becomes more and more time consuming. It doesn't help that the bloggers are getting better and better all the time the enjoyment is addictive. To pick four, impossible. Just look to the right and pick four that strike your fancy.

Four Foods:
1. Anything that clogs the arteries
2. Sushi
3. Beer (that's a food!)
4. Pizza
I make my own pizza. The crust:
Mix 1/2 cup of warm water with one package of yeast. Add 1 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbs oil. Mix together and knead for about eight minutes. I like to knead, it's very therapeutic. Let the dough rise for about an hour and a half. Mash it down and roll it on some of that nonstick foil into as round a thing as you can with an empty Grey Goose vodka bottle. (it doesn't have to be Grey Goose)
Prehea the oven to 500 degrees.
Slather on some kind of red Italian sauce. I like to use the mozzarella that comes in a chunk but the crumbly kind works as well. Put the meats on first, pepperoni, sausage, or whatever is in the fridge. Slice some onion thin. Thin is important so they will cook. Do the same with any other veggies. Add a fist full of chopped garlic. Two important steps: if it's only veggies sprinkle some olive oil on top and always drizzle some oil on the edge of the crust that isn't covered with stuff. Slide foil with pizza onto a baking sheet and into the hot oven. About 15 to 20 minutes and it's pizza! Enjoy with that other food group, beer.

Four Places I'd Rather Be:
There's nowhere I'd rather be than here on Groundhog Mountain but if I could I'd like to visit:
1. Scotland, Loch Ness where the MacBeans came from.
2. Italy
3. Holland or Sweden or Poland or Germany or Austria or China or....
4. The one place I'd take over Groundhog Mountain; Heaven.

Four Friends to Tag:
Any four of you that feel like doing this.

The Answers;
1. Cast Away- talking to Wilson (who else is there?)
2. Master and Commander-commenting on the construction of the phantom ship
3. Cold Comfort Farm-attempting to write a novel
4. The Ladykillers-complaining to the sheriff
5. Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring- flock of crow like birds
6. Road to Perdition- Jude Laws occupation

So there you have it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

I visited Loch Ness a couple of years ago; if I'd known I would have given your ancestors a nod. Since I've come across lots of people of Scottish descent. Hope you get to go; lovely country.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I've done the meme thing earlier, I'm not taking up that challenge again!

About visiting Scotland, we've been there for 2 years in a row, and it really is a fantastic country. We've visited Loch Ness too, of course. Never saw Nessie though - maybe we scared her... ?

The scottish highlands is so very beutiful and interesting!!! And the scottish people are very friendly and helpful against strangers.

We just LOVE Scotland :-)

5:20 PM  
Blogger christine said...

Just was a fun blog to visit. Enjoyed your writings.

5:13 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Around here, Leslie, your going to find a whole lot of people of Scottish descent. One day we'll get there. BTW, saw your Dad at Becky's the other day.

Don't feel bad, Billy, Wanda comes up with a lot I don't get. Take that any way you want. Wives are like that. And I linked ya' because I enjoy ya'.

I know you got "the golden orb", Ally. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. Unfortunatly the Grey Goose bottle makes an expensive rolling pin and those plastic things Popov comes in don't work too well.

Mrs. L., you guys have been everywhere and if you havn't your making plans to go. It's great.
But your a lot closer to the old sod than us. Did you get Mr. L. into a kilt?

Well, Kasia, four books....
The Bible tops the list. Wonderful stories and a guide for living ones life as well as the Word of God.
Crazy Horse by Maria Sandoz is the biography of the Souix leader told from the native American point of view.
The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell explains the reality of our world.
History of Food by Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat which appeals to my interest in food and beverage. It's a book which, if not used for reference, shoud be taken in small bites.
BTW, enhjoyed your kids "facts" about the UK. Makes me want to visit Scotland even more also see the puppet who lives in the palace.

Christine, welcome and thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed my brand of insanity. Stop by again.

6:24 AM  
Blogger fred said...

We have Master and Commander arriving from Netflix in the mail today. Is it one that Ann will run away from: moments of tension with possible injury or verbal conflict? instants of violence or anger? confrontation of any sort? If so, I'll watch it while she's at work and send it back and wait for Bambi for Herself.

8:25 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Wow, what an honor, a Floydian visiting his poor cousin over here in Patrick county. :)
You'll enjoy it, Fred. There's quite a bit of the natural science in the story line.
The cinamatography is excellent.
Thanks for stopping by. We've been regular visitors to Check since we are driving to Roanoke on a too frequent basis.

8:47 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Oh, to answer your question, Fred.
All of the above, but not done in a gratuitous manner. Wanda enjoyed it but then she's a George Ramero fan.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok from the top:

* Don't tell Gus that beer is a food.

* The pizza thing sounds good. Ima get the other half on that right away (smile).

* With a name like Olfutt, how could you do anything but exist there? (apologies to all current residents -- sigh)

Oh and I liked the paper cut entry. "But you are Blanche. You are..." (smile)

Take care -- be back soon!

1:25 PM  
Blogger benning said...

How long do you leave the yeast relaxing in the water? Or do you just mix it in, and dump in the flour?

I love making pizza, but I like the frozen bread dough for a crust.

Yes, beer is a food! Dad always said so!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home