Thursday, March 09, 2006

Don't Murder the Bull!



Driving these country mountain roads is always an adventure. There are the constant curves and undulating ups and downs combined with those curves. A hard surfaced black top will suddenly and inexplicably become a gravel road. The gravel road becomes these parallel tire tracks and then just as suddenly the black top reappears. One never knows what scenic vista or family farm beside a gently flowing stream will grab the attention. But when behind the wheel that attention must be directed for the most part to the driving.

Deer are a constant hazard. The jump out in front of cars with no advance warning. It's better to hit the suicide deer than take the chance of swerving and hitting a tree or other solid object. Auto insurance feels better if you're damaged by a animal. Even the most experienced mountain country drivers have stories of turning a doe into a hood ornament. There is a bright side, fresh road kill is edible. Just make sure the critters good and dead before loading it into the back of the SUV. Nothing quite as invigorating as a dazed buck coming around in the back seat of the family transport.

Another phenomena is the occasional cattle leaving the security of the pasture and taking a stroll down the aforementioned roads. That, my friends, is what brings us to the purpose of the handsome bovine adorning this post. We have seen cows and bulls along the shoulder of the road peacefully munching on the grass. Last night a fellow who looked a lot like the one pictured almost rearranged our little Toyota Celica.

We have been after a payment on Stone Mountain Road for about a week now. Because it's close to home we've been by the house most every day going and coming. Trucks and cars were moved about and the lights were on at night but there was no answer at the door or on the phone. Last night when we pulled into the drive we spotted someone in the house. They could not hide or run away, we had them! Now here's a trick you may want to remember when you go on vacation. Have someone come over and move the stay at home cars around and turn on the lights at night. That way should any nefarious characters, such as insurance agents, come around they will think you are home and it's just too much trouble to get up off the couch after a long day doing whatever one does.

Celebrating our victory at finally finding this guy home we headed gleefully towards Villa MacBean only to by completely startled by a fellow that looked a lot like the one pictured standing in the middle of Route #638. Not peacefully munching but standing in the middle of the road. It was dark, the bull was black and we were on him before we knew it. I swerved. I know I said it's better to hit than swerve but there was room and he was much bigger than a deer. We probably would have broken his leg and he would have totaled our car. So we missed him and once the adrenaline rush calmed down we chalked it up to just another adventure on the country mountain roads. And that's no bull! Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Isn't there any place to live that isn't dangerous? No wonder we are a country of nervous, is the right word Nellys?
I've been chalking up "Thank you Jesus" times, and this seems to be a big one!!!
See you, Betty G

7:45 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

I sure wouldn't have made it this far if Jesus hadn't been looking out for me.
Up here, where we are, there are a lot of hazzards but I'll take them over the urban ones.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

One time my husband and I were driving up into the mountains to go snowboarding and a really beautiful elk ran right out in front of our car. The roads were extrememly icing and we slid a bit when my husband hit the breaks. It really got our blood going! :)

3:45 PM  
Blogger Janie said...

Wow! So glad that you did not hit him! We have deer but not like you do. Bet it is beautiful where you live. I think I will post a picture of our longhorn on my blog... but be surprised! LOL Thank you for the compliment; but SURE that you can paint better than me. Maybe you just need to practice more and then you could sing. Have a wonderful evening. Blessings, Janie Marie

4:30 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I hope Wanda tells her boss about all the adventure she and you are having...you've got some real dedication. I hope she gets commission on every 'sale'.

5:16 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Now that must have been exciting, Annie. Thankfully the roads wern't slick and I just drove around the beast but I know what your saying about getting the blood going!

Janie Marie, you would love this area. It's the mountain music capitol of the world, literally. Gospel is a way of life. Galax will hold what I think is the 71th annual fiddlers convention http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/ in August. It is beautiful and no amount of practice will help me.

We keep at it, Bonita, So far the selling part isn't going all that well but we can pick up premium like gang busters. Ane she does get paid prtetty well for that. If nothing else turns up I will probably go to work for the same company. They want me and it would make things easier. There is another opportunity that's super if it works out. We'll see where the Lord leads.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I see you are reading my grandson's blog. I like that.
Russ is a trained consevative, trained by me from young guy up. I have always loved talking with him re politics because we agree on everything!!
He is a super man, now, not boy, and like I am always saying we are proud of him.
You will hear him talk of MadisonU, that was his first college, he went on a governor's 4-year scholarship for pre-med, and switched to political science and wound up a lawyer. I don't compete with him anymore, he is brilliant and that is just not Gramma talking.
So, enjoy his writing. He doesn't talk business!!!
See you, Betty G

9:44 PM  
Blogger GUYK said...

Yeah, a bull will usually win the argument with a small car although it may have to limp away. Probaly with a bull even if you do mamage to kill it when you hit it they are too big just to put in the trunk and too tough to eat anyway--thats why they call them balona bulls.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No bullshit! (sorry I couldn't resist it)

First I thought that you should say that it was a fresh taken photo of YOU ;-)

I'm glad that you missed the bull, even though it seemed to be a very fine bull, I rather see that you and your wife was not hurt.

Seems like an adventurous and dangerous life around there! Pheeeeew, maybe that's why we are staying indoors as much as possible now. Or maybe it's the winter ;-)

4:53 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Yeah, Guy, this fellow looked like a tough one.

Mrs. L., I'm not that handsome. And the life here in the mountain country is adventurous. And is can be dangerous if one is not carefull. It's the winter, you and Mr. L. are certainly the more adventurous types.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Boy...you could be driving on our roads. I was driving down a main road (paved, two lanes with actual paint demarking two sides) when I came around a corner and there stood a bull that looked just like yours only it was brown. Scared me to death. And don't get me started on deer.

6:46 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Ya know, Hick, our mountains have a lot in common. Yours are just a bit more pointy. Give them a few million years and they'll be exactly like ours. I can hardly wait.

7:18 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Yup, Ally, so grand we moved to the mountains where a heavy traffic is four cars and an occasional bull, or deer.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home