Sunday, March 12, 2006

Saturday Drive

What a wonderful Saturday. As noted in the previous post we took the 130 mile round trip drive to Roanoke. The temperature once off Groundhog Mountain is about 10 degrees warmer. It had to be pushing 80 as we cruised through the traffic light in Floyd. I knew it was a good day, usually we get the red. That's the way it is folks, the only traffic light in the county almost always stops you. The sunroof (or moonroof, depending on the time of day) was open and windows were down and CD of choice was Joyce Meyers. At one point she said a prayer for the conversion of family and friends of her audience who don't know Jesus. I couldn't help inserting the names of a few bloggers I know. God was truly in His glory.

On a personal note since I'm riding around doing the insurance thing I've decided I should get paid for it. I told the poobah that I felt sorry for him and will take the insurance exam and go to work for them. They are very short handed in this area and are , I don't think desperately is too strong a word, looking for people. It will mean my little fledgling wife will have to take wings and go off flying for herself. But over the past month or so she has gained the confidence to do so. It will also mean the bills will be paid and if all goes well we will return to a positive cash flow.

The road down Bent Mountain into Roanoke affords a grand view of the Roanoke Valley where the blossoming trees promised spring. As we reached the base and were following the Back Creek Road the wonderful aroma of hickory smoke laced with animal fat waft in the open windows. And that meant somewhere in the vicinity there was to be had that most desirous of all mountain foods, Bar-B-Que! There it was, that black drum (not to be confused with the fish) on wheels with the smoke billowing out. Since we had to wait until the return trip to stop the anticipation was almost too much to bear. But stop we did, and oh joy, a free sample of melt in the mouth pork shoulder fresh from the smoker. We bought a pound and two scoops of homemade ice cream. The ice cream was one of those serendipitous little blessings which God has a habit of dropping on one unexpectedly. Unusually warm day, hand churned peach ice cream, (Wanda had apple pie flavor) and the smell of fresh pork B-B-Q coming from the back seat and a clear view for miles from the road up Bent Mountain. Could life get any better?

A quick stop at the hardware store (if we don't have it, you don't need it) in Floyd to replentish bird seed and then on to Slaughters Market for bread for the B-B-Q which now is really smelling good. It's about another 30 miles up to the mountain and the Toyota was zipping around the curves of the Floyd Pike. Just past Dugspur we turn onto, what else, Dugspur Road.

As we head up route #638, which you may recall has been the sight of several adventures such as the bull in the road, I begin following a trail of "horse apples". Coming around a curve the above source is located. These horses and wagon belong to the folks who have a farm down the road a bit. Their kids were following up in the little pony cart. With the true hospitality so evident in this area we were invited to follow them home. They have a large farm and said that among other things, there is a rodeo in the works. But today one of the horses had thrown a shoe. We'll stop by some day when we are less tired from a long but enjoyable drive and when there's not the promise of pork B-B-Q calling from the back seat.

Home.
Wanda had a peaceful walk down Orchard Trail spotting a flock of wild Turkey while I relaxed on the couch with a well deserved pork bar-b-que sandwich and a beer to watch the constant flurry of hungry birds feasting on a fresh supply of sunflower seeds.

13 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

A positive cash flow is a good thing. Sounds like a lovely drive and I'm envying you the bar-b-que, and especially the ice cream!

4:18 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

You put me into sensory overload! The mountain ride played a big part, then the Bar-B-Que and to top it off was the hand-churned ice cream! Any one of those things flings a craving on me, but all three in one day - and to get to watch the birds as well. I would call that a good day. (I like home-made banana ice cream also). ec

8:33 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

As you know, Leslie, around these parts a positive cash flow is a very good thing. It's not that easy to come by.

Mr. E., a good, a very good day indeed. That B-B-Q is now a memory. But it sure was tastey. And I've got to wipe the sticky off the stearing wheel.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

A real feast of delights here, Dave - the journey, the people, food, the ponys, and the prayers for others to share in your spirit. Magnanimity and grace all abiding. What a wonderful day.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a complain to do! Since it's so totally unfair to us in the cold snowy Sweden, I don't want to read about the spring and 80 and BBQ's and blossom trees...

This is torture man!

Like the horses though ;-)

Oh, and good luck with the job! I'm sure Wanda will miss you terrible...

11:53 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Bonbita. I don't know what we ever did to deserve our life here in the Blue Ridge. Wanda and I sometimes just stare out the window in disbeleif at our good fortune. God is good!

And to my European friends, I feel your pain. We have spent many snowy winters in Maryland and I know how dismal they can be.

I'm glad your virtual drive with us made you feel better, Kasia. Just imagine yourself here.

I'm used to complaining women, Mrs L., after all I am married. Spring will come to Sweden (it will, won't it?) and I'm sure it wil be beautiful.
Wanda misses me if I leave the room. But then I feel the same about her. She has always wanted us to work at the same place, now she's getting her wish. However, it's not exactly what she had in mind.

2:03 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Bonbita? Senior moment!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Binty McShae said...

I keep forgetting that it is only March and elsewhere the seasons are turning once again... it is a perpetual 25 - 35 degrees celcius here, only broken by the odd downpour in the rainy seasons!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

Your Saturday was certainly one of feasting: for the eyes, for the soul, for the ears, and for the tastebuds. What a magical place you live in.

Almost as good as Texas *grin*...

7:11 PM  
Blogger Little Pencil Writing said...

Ice cream? Bar-b-q?

That does it--I'm movin' to Roanoke!

Sounds like a great trip. I've been fascinated with Roanoke since learning about it in my kids' history books.

Thanks for taking us there with your descriptions.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed riding along in my mind with you all. You made it sound so peaceful and so pleasant I can only look forward to summer for days like yours.
It's writings like yours that make these blogs worthwhile for snowbound people like me.
Thank you,
See you, Betty G

9:52 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Billy, after having lived in the city I understand anyones longing for the country life.

Damn, Binty, just another day in paradise! One of the reasons I left Florida was that I got bored with the constant warm weather followed by a week of winter.

Nothing is as good as Texas especially to a Texan. But just remember the first president of Texas was a Virginian. Maybe that's were Texas got it's magic.

Hey Judy, better hurry up and make that move. The way things are going real estate cost is rising rapidly. It's an incredably rich area. Not necessarly in money but in the quality of life.

Thanks for the compliment ,Betty, I'm glad I could bring a little warmth into that snow covered area you call home. Your pics made me shiver and not with delight. And peaceful and pleasant it is.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Nice piece of writing. We have a wagon train that comes down from Lake Tahoe every year to re-enact the trip of the pioneers. Only they use the highway and tie up traffic for miles...and days. Whenever I pass them on the road, they never really look like they are having much fun.

I want pork BBQ.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home