Saturday, April 15, 2006

My Commute

The 12 or maybe the 13th commandment is be carefully what you pray for, you just may get it. I believe God has a somewhat distorted sense of humor. I mean, who else could come up with putting a guy in the stinking belly of a whale just because the guy decided to head the wrong way. So I've been praying for a job to occupy the years between my first and second retirement. Wanda has been praying for a job where we were working at the same place. Well, SHAZAM! We got what we asked for.
I've been driving the 137.4 mile round trip to Roanoke for the past week. Up a 6 or so, in the car at 7:30 and down the Parkway to the big city. It's a fantastic ride to work, cruising along on the Blue Ridge Parkway, while listening to Beethoven's 9th shake the car. The ride home, however....
The days stretch into the early evening which finds me still working. Then the drive home is slow with a constant watch for the suicidal deer and a longing for love of my life. I want to speed, the limit on the Parkway is 45, but because of the deer and the possibility of the feds giving me a ticket I want to drive slow. I become at odds with myself. Thank God for Frank Sinatra, the Dooby Brothers and any classical guitar.
And my poor wife? We may be working at for the same company but we're sure not working any where close to each other.
I guess all that was an explanation why my blogging has suffered of late. My system is still getting used to leaving early morning and getting home around 10:30 PM. One more week of in the field training and then I'm on my own and can return to a somewhat normal life. Normal? Like I said God has a great sense of humor.
Happy Easter to all my Christian sisters and brothers. To my Jewish friends, a blessed Passover. And to the rest of you, happy springtime. If your into the mood for some Easter eggs of a different sort stop by and visit our favorite, the one and only guy in a blue bunny suit, Mr. Entertainment, and a wonderful husband and father, the ...Did he say a blue bunny suit? Yes, he did, may I present BILLY D.
Gotta shower now, Bye

2 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Happy Easter to you too! He is Risen!! :)

4:46 PM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Happy Easter! Glad you're commute isn't permanent; we've missed you around the Blog-o-sphere!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home