Saturday, April 01, 2006

Got Hit Up Side The Head With PMA


I have been PMAed. the founder of this company I'm going work for was W. Clement Stone, and when I first saw his picture I thought looked like a pimp. But He was a brilliant and very positive guy. PMA stand for positive mental attitude and W. turned it into a science and a way of life. His books, "Believe and Achieve" and "The Success System That Never Fails" are classics in the self help category.

Never being a great fan of insurance, when Wanda went to work for the company my immediate thought was "hey, it's a job". But as I observed the companies philosophy I came to appreciate the genuinely motivating and positive objectives. And although the polka-dot bow ties and pencil mustache still gave me pause, the cigar smoking W. C. and his PMA were beginning to take effect.

There has been plenty written about and by W. Clement Stone who started with $100. in 1919 what has turned into one of the major insurance companies. One thing I didn't know, he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. He lost to Mother Teresa. He was also a fantastic ballroom dancer and it is said that at a social gathering he would dance with every woman in the place.

After a long trans-Atlantic flight when most of the rest of the aircraft passengers were just leaving the arms of Morphius to that post flight, post slumber state the somewhat elderly W. (he lived to be 100) jumped from his seat. His arms swinging (the following must include some physical activity) and extolling the rest of the somewhat zombieized travelers out of their seats, he invigorated them with the mantra he engaged in each morning, "I feel healthy, I feel happy, I feel terrific". It's still used in the company, very effectively.

I encourage the reading of his books and just to get you going I'll be throwing out a few quotes form the man.

"Stand up. Raise your arms. Repeat after me: I feel healthy! I feel happy! I feel terrific! "
W. Clement Stone

2 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

A PMA is like prayer - it has powerful repercussions when genuinely felt. I wish you the best in your pursuits in the big city.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything as positive as that is... positive ;-)

And deserves repeating...

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home