Thursday, December 15, 2005

Does It Look Like I'm Going Anywhere?


The sleet was coming down when I awoke. Then freezing rain. Now all exposed surfaces in our forest are covered with ice. This is the view out the pantry window on the side of the house facing east. You think I'm going outside in this? First of all, I remember Mountain Lesson #2 and secondly that Lady who is studying for the insurance exam in the back bedroom is also guarding my shoes so I can't go outside and play.

So what's up with the insurance exam? Glad you asked.
You remember last episode they had cancelled due to weather. When calling to confirm the their next scheduled test we were told they had listed her as a "no show" which meant scratching around for another $69. exam fee. Huzzah! The final (I think) edict; another $40. rescheduling fee for their incompetence.

If ever elected anything besides my present office of vice-president (I was assured I wouldn't have to do anything and the committee timed the call when they knew I would be busy bartending at Doe Run and wouldn't have time to think about it. They also wanted someone who was full time up here and there isn't a good selection, obviously) of our community association, I'll use all the good ideas from all the states and chuck out all the bad ones like all the bureaucratic redundancy just to take a licensing exam.

Back to the insurance (I think I better go back to Firmly Rooted for another 55) we go tomorrow to take the exam. On what is promised by the weather people (worry) to be a warm, sunny, ice has melted day we are off to Bristol either Virginia or Tennessee. It's right on the line and actually a bit closer than Roanoke. I didn't realize until we moved here just how close it is to the "Volunteer State". Guess I'll have to take the Titans a little more seriously...naaa.

When there is icy weather like this up here everyone just stays home. I called the bank, both branches; closed as was the Old Mill Golf Resort where I'm trying to pick up a nights work and maybe get my foot in the door. It's too easy to either go careening out of control over a ridge or run into a granite outcrop. And that caution includes walking although Fred at Fragments from Floyd had a link to these Yak Traks which may be a good idea.

The freezing rain is turning to rain. The icicles are gone from the bird feeder and much of the ice in the photo is melted. That's the weather on Groundhog Mountain.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I really like the artful photo, the oval framing, etc. I haven't a clue as to how you get it like that.

When the weather is bad, it's best to stay inside, unless you want to take more photographs. Did I say 'employment' is quite secondary to that?

1:12 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

I use Microsofts "Picture It Express" I've been fooling around with for a while. It's simple enough for me and does what I need.
It came with the computer.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can handle the snow but ICE...no "stank you."

I shoved for 2 hrs this past Saturday and it rained real hard first so underneath the snow was a nice thick layer of ice...that was a pain in the arse to get off. I slid down my driveway of death on my backside and all the neighbors got a good laugh.

But.....it sure is pretty in the wintertime.

9:48 PM  
Blogger GUYK said...

It just looks cold to me

10:04 AM  
Blogger fred said...

YakTrax came yesterdaay. how have we lived (or stayed verical) without them! Hip and wrist fracture insurance, for sure. At $25, small price to pay to avoid falling on your ice.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home