Monday, January 23, 2006

Sometimes Retired Is Only a Word

This week end was chock full of fun. Saturday we took route 221 to Roanoke. It goes through Dugspur, Willis, Floyd, beautiful downtown Check, Copper Hill, Bent Mountain and then a white knuckle drive down Bent Mountain into Roanoke. It's a much shorter drive then using I 81 and much more interesting.
Sat. evening was a church men's fellowship dinner. By the time I got home I was tired and went to bed.
Yesterday, it was church in the morning and then football in the afternoon.

This is the buckle of the bible belt and there is a church every half mile or so. It's the social center of the communities and very important to most people here. And church rocks! Music is a very important and traditionally the wellspring of many country musicians. It's a joyful sound that has even the most placid of us standing and clapping to the music. The piano player at our church is the member of a professional and well known country music family and it's worth going just enjoy the tunes. There's a welcome and welcoming quality in this small congregations I never found in the larger big city churchs I attended.

On to football. It really didn't matter to me who won the Pittsburgh/Denver game and the way Carolina played they deserved to lose. In any case the Superbowl should be a good game as the Steelers and Seahawks seem to be pretty evenly matched.

So love of my love and I are off to Blacksburg today. She to make our fortune in the insurance industry and me to drive. I did google the directions to the various places we need to visit so it could be a little easier today. Sometimes my perception of the obvious is amazing.

The fog has lifted on the mountain and in my mind and we're off.

Later.

5 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

It should be a decent Super Bowl. Once the Bucs were beat I didn't have a dog in the hunt so really didn't care who won. But I did think the Panthers stunk up the field yesterday. They just didn't come prepared to play.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I hope you and Wanda have a great day, working and traveling throughout the countryside. I would love to see it - imagine, a Sunday drive on Monday.

I love the little country churches too...

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born and rasied in Newport News in the "Tidewater" or "Hampton Roads" area of the Old Dominion. In fact, I went to the same high school mike Vick went to-Warwick High. Only when I was there our football team sucked.

The only time I went to the western part of Va.was in boy scouts. One of my only memories was drinking fresh water out of a mountain stream. I seem to remember power lines running thru the montains..not sure on that.

I want to go back as an adult. As you know I like photography. Florida, as you also know, has no elevation. Virginia is a gold mine. Also with color instead of just green.

Thanks for the comments you have left on my blog.

I also liked the comment you left about the correct use of a certain word that means study of knowledge.It's been a long time since I've thought about these things...You did not insult me personally...It's all good.

Tim Fasano

2:19 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Driving today we saw two dead skunks, Guy, reminded me of the Panthers yesterday.
It was great, Bonita, stopped by a 300 year old farm house and took a trip through Happy Hollar. We're going back to the Blacksburg area Friday and hope to get some pics.
Tim, thanks for stopping by. I enjoy your blog quite a bit because it's my home town you get some great pictures of. And having driven a taxi for 13 years I can certainly relate. Our water comes from a spring about a hundred yards down the road, it's the best.
Any time you want to come up and take pictures of this beautiful area give me a buzz. Villa Macbean always has the welcome mat for anyone who feels about the dumb-o- crats. Acrually I can't stand the republicans either but I really can't stand the dumb-o-crats. Oh, yeah, we got 'lictric, now.

5:38 PM  
Blogger GUYK said...

The Panthers and the Bucs have a lot in common-you never know which team is going to show up to play. Both are capable of beating anyone including each other but both have a lot of 'head' problems getting ready to play.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home