Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Groundhog Mountain News (it's better than the networks)

Well, things are back to relative (pardon the pun) normal at Villa MacBeane now now that sister and brother-in-law are heading cheerfully, at this moment, down the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway on the start of that heinous trip back to the rough streets of Baltimore. Love of my life is off to church to plan the music for Sunday and thence to the insurance thing. I am alone with the cat and a beautiful day to enjoy.

Besides the visit, Paulette and Jorge, (who you were briefly introduced to in the previous post) blessed us with a super pair of binoculars to enhance our "birding". We can add Pine Warbler to the growing list of birds we've seen. They also identified the Winter Junco which are plentiful but we didn't know them.

Last night we dined at the The Galax Smokehouse in downtown Galax. It's an informal (paper and plastic) type of place with awesome Bar-B-Que. The ribs are tender and flavorful since they are slowcooked over a hickory fire. The greenbeans were seasoned and a tad spicy and I want some more. All the food was excellent and not expensive. (Although I'm not sure about that, Jorge paid, bless his little Cuban heart) The service was prompt, professional and friendly. So, there's my first restaurant review.

I found this little tid-bit nestling among Guys many posts. Got my interest up because, that's my bank. They are very accommodating and have been a big help since we've moved her. This article says BB & T (Branch, Banking and Trust) is declining to finance developers of land taken by eminent domain. There are offices all around this area and the branch in Stuart has a wall mural of JEB Stuart and his cavalry. Stuart was born very close to here and lots of stuff was named after him.

The North Carolina-based bank, which employs more than 28,000 people in 1,400 branches in 11 states, announced last month that it would no longer approve loans for developers who want to pursue commercial enterprises on land seized by the government using the power of eminent domain, or taking private property for public use .

I think it says a lot about the way people think in these parts. There is that devotional undercurrant of respect for the land. Russel H., a farmer who we visited recently, in between twice inviting us to stay for dinner and telling of his morning, birthing calves (one of which died) said, of his land, once you sell it, you don't get it back.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

BB&T is my bank also. Rita, Lisa and the girls at the Boones Mill branch are fantastic to work with. I'm refinancing our home parcel with BB&T right now, and we've also got a sizable business financing package through their business division. Trust is a two-way street, and they've earned mine that's for certain.

Rita the loan officer just wants me to slow down in 2006 so she can catch up :)

Sean

4:05 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

"devotional undercurrent of respect for the land" ... any rancher out in Montana feels the same way. But, it's a tough life.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray for them! We need more like them.
This is one-finger typing from hand surgery today.
I will be fine.
See you, Betty G

4:48 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

That was a good restaurant review, I could almost smell the ribs. Three cheers for BB&T, it is about time someone started doing business that made sense. ec

8:24 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

They take the time to get to know you in the branches here also, Sean. I've had several situations where they cheerfully helped me out.
Yes, and hooray for all of them, Bonita's Montana farmer, BB & T, good ol' Russell, over achievers, and the rest of us who feel quality of life can't be bought.

Hope your hand gets better real soon, Boop.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post here, it kept me occupied for quite a while, following all the interesting links in it.

And made me wish that I could see the landscape, birds and taste the food at the smokehouse.

(You woke up the hungry monster now, poor Mr Lifecruiser, he better throw a pice of meat in my direction to keep me calm!)

7:38 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Around here people always have the welcome mat out. So anytime your in the neighborhood, Mrs. Lifecruiser. stop by.
Don't tell me you must be fed by Mr. Lifecruiser. I must do the same for Wanda. Guess it's one of the secrets to a happy marriage.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Boy you live in a bee-utiful area. I was through there in 2000 when we were touring around your neck of the woods. And, after checking out the website of the smokehouse I want to go there again and try some of those ribs. They would go great with a California Zin.

6:16 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Thanks for stopping by, Hick. Zin is my favorite and you would have to mention it with the ribs. We are in a area so beautiful even the people around the area say our Groundhog Mountain is one of the best.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home