Saturday, March 25, 2006

THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME


Well, I made it safely to the big city and back again. Over the months I have been sheltered in the mountains it was easy to forget the "joys" of city life. The hotel where the company booked us was in the heart of the longest stretch of strip malls in the world. Every fast food place, chain store, and possible car dealership was represented as well as the appendent "mom and pop" establishments.

And of course, the traffic. Naturally, my computer generated directions, as expected, sent me the wrong way on one of those six lane roads from hell and it was the "groundhog day" syndrome until the nice ladies at Dairy Queen recognized the error of Microsoft's ways.

So I studied hard and learned everything there is to know about health and disability insurance that the state of Virginia requires. Monday, it's off to Roanoke to take the test and then, dear friends and patient readers it's on to sales school for two unbearable weeks in Raleigh, North Carolina. It is there I will learn the various methods of convincing people the need to protect their ass(ets) from the hazards and perils of this uncertain world. Am I thrilled about leaving again? I'd rather hang by my thumbs. But like they say, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'm convinced God gives us these "inconveniences" so that we learn to appreciate His blessings all the more.

Since my darling wife had to go to Roanoke I was greeted upon arrival home by Caesar, the Airedale who thinks of our house as his third home. While I was gone, Wanda let him in for a visit. He immediatly went to the guest bedroom and curled up on the bed. He is the sweetest, most obedient, happy dog I have ever known and owns the lady who has the summer and weekend house across the street. Bounding off our deck he did his jump up and down dance until I opened the car door. It was like he knew I was due home. Our cat, Fisal, yawned at my arrival and went back to sleep.

This afternoon I'm making salsa. As Seinfeld pointed out, that's a fun word, saaal' sa. Our church is having the "great saaal'sa encounter" and this writer is a eager contestant. The winner gets saaal' sa bragging rights for the entire area of Willis and Indian Valley and possibly Dugspur, Virginia for the next week or so. It involves jalapeno peppers. I learned the hard way when handling these peppers wash ones hands well before going to the bathroom or touching any other tender body parts. It's off to the kitchen.

I thought of all my blog buddies often during the past week and hoped you were all cheerfully clicking away at your keyboards. I guess it's not so strange that since we become so involved in each others lives we turn up in each others thoughts. Much of this morning was spent catching up on all the stuff I've missed. I don't like to advertise it, but y'all (for all y'all who don't speak redneck, that's a generic term for "you" and is used often, the plural is "all y'all") are remembered in my prayers. It's nice to be back in such good company.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Home is always home, where ever it is :-)

Ooops, that sounded a little bit risky with the saaal'sa, keep your hands safe... Maybe it was kind of a good thing that Wanda wasn't at home.... *lol*

Hope your weekend is refreshing you and good luck kicks for the tests!

10:10 AM  
Blogger GUYK said...

Oh boy, a sales school. I have went through a few myself plus the various motivational seminars set up for commssioned salespeople. Selling is not really a problem-overcomes objections and create a need for the product and fulfil the need with your particular version of the product. never lie--just anser the question with another question that will change the train of thought. Yeah, I was a pretty good salesman--I used to be a Career advisor in the USAF which translates into an "In service recruiter" selling the USAF and getting people to re up for another four to six years. If one can sell the military to someone who is already in it and doesn't like it then that one can sell air conditioners in Fort Barrow Alaska

2:39 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

You and Mr.L. do a lot of traveling and I'm sure you are always happy to get back to Sweden. And yes, Wanda was safer at a distance.

Hey, Billy, that's life, always an adventure.

You do your share of traveling, Kasia. Let's see, Italy's comming up soon. That would be hard to leave. It was always difficult leaving the mountains before we moved here. I guess that's why it became home.

Yeah, Guy, it's a numbers game; you BS enough people and sooner or later someone's going to buy. I'm sure it was easier to sell re-uping as the years went by. With the low pay in the sixties and one of our Staff Sgts. with time in grade since WW II the chances of my reenlistment were slim to none. Maybe if they had put me in an AFSC with some chance of promotion I would have stayed and retired to drink coffee, blog, walk the dog and grow tomatoes on the wast coast of Fl.:)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just want to say I missed your comments. I checked every day and all I ever saw was the same old, same old.
So, enjoy traveling while you can, and make the most of it!!
See you, Betty G

7:31 PM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

We missed you! Glad you're back OK and hope the rest of the marathon of training and travel goes well. I let other people go through the hazards of preparing salsa; good luck!

2:00 PM  
Blogger benning said...

"I learned the hard way when handling these peppers wash ones hands well before going to the bathroom or touching any other tender body parts."

I had a lady explain the need for washing after touching jalapenos. So I never had the pleasure of burning myself. I feel quite lucky!

Love the Airedale - he looks quite relieved in the photo. 'Course that pic may have been taken a month ago, but he still looks relieved! Guess he does know where he's nicely treated.

Welcome home, even if it is only temporary. :D

4:44 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I know you will be glad when this initial phase is over, and you will be finished with the testing part. Good luck, and enjoy the process.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

I thought everyone said y'all and now you are telling me different! LOL Cute dog, gotta love 'em. I'm from Ks. "No place like home!" LOL Blessings, Janie Marie

6:28 PM  
Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

I buy disposal plastic gloves for my pepper neutering ( depodding of seeds). No matter how much you wash your hands, that pepper oil seems to hang in there.

So, where's the dang recipe?

7:08 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

The church salsa thing sounds real interesting. Plus that is one way bring fire to one's church. ec

8:51 PM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

It's nice to be missed, Betty. I'll try to enjoy the traveling. Like it says in James, greet your adversities with joy.

Yes, Ally, I knew what you were up to. It was nice to see the MacBean motto turn up in you list. Can't believe you had to look up the meaning of "targe".

With all you've been up to, Leslie you don't have time to do the salsa.

The picture was taken about a month ago, Benning. But he's the same dog. And with jalapinos, forwarned is forarmed.

Bonita, I will rejoice whe this is over. Other than being away from my wife there is also my complete aversion to the city.

You know them yankee's don't know how to talk right, Janie Marie. And I tried the heel clicking thing and it didn't work. I guess you really do need the ruby slippers.

Yeah, Pattie I looked for the disposable gloves which my darling ususlly has around for cleaning. But she as usuall had been cleaning. And I will post the recipe although I think it would be redundant for a Texan.

One thing about our church is it is filled with the Holy fire, Mr E.
It's small but mighty. It's the first I've been to where one really strongly feels Gods presence.

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home