Wednesday, April 26, 2006

More Fun With Dave and Wanda

Love of my life and I spent a grand day and about twenty dollars in gas driving around the Independence, Va. area doing the insurance thing. This is one set of the falls on Falls Road. I took some other pics and will post them altho' they didn't turn out too good. It's the camera, folks. The countryside in that area is beautiful. It's the only region we have seen where, other than where we are,we would have considered living.

There may be some people in the world who actually choose to sell insurance door to door. None of them reside at Villa MacBean. We do it because, well, quite honestly, it's the only job we could find in economically depressed southwest Virginia. After applying with local businesses for the better part of six months and after several call backs never hearing from them again, "ya do whatcha gotta do". Perhaps some of you remember the "desk clerk" job I applied for. He was the guy who asked if I could type. Now remember I have over twenty years experience working in hotels. The last I heard from that guy after about half a dozen conversations was "I'm going to put you on the schedule and give you a call". I hear the same litany here, as in Baltimore, "good help is so hard to find". You know what I say? "Well, if you didn't hire your nephew who only wants to get back on unemployment or that illegal Mexican, maybe you would have some good help". People in this area have many wonderful qualities, however their employment practices are not included, especially to when it comes to senior citizen newcomers.

So Wanda and I took the insurance jobs because we needed some positive cash flow. I've said several times I have a belief that God has a strange sense of humor.
For whatever reason He handed us our present challenge. I'm sure we are learning some important lessons because that's the way He does things. But I know He's chuckling over his latest. Yesterday, in the mail was a check for over a much needed $5,000. It was from a loan company and with interest we would have to repay over $9,000! Just deposit it in your checking account! Oh, yeah, I can hear the laughter now.

7 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

It is a lovely trip, but I'm glad I'm not on the road so much these days. Rough gas prices!

We'll be delighted to see you this weekend, insurance or not!

2:44 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Beautiful countryside! God did that area up very well. ec

7:16 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

You might consider spinning up a micro-business from your home. In the beginning, it would be a part/part time job though if it established itself it could gradually replace your day job. Worked for me.

Another consideration is applying for a home-based customer support job with a tech company. Check out Monster.com for those. It's a growing business, companies are discovering they can hire retired rural workers at a smaller salary thanks to the workers' reduced cost of living. Another thought is that if you want to combine some physical activity with the job, you might consider house cleaning. Folks I know around here charge a minimum of $10/hour. When we lived in Blacksburg we paid a lady $75 for barely 3 hours of cleaning once a week.

Sean

3:20 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

I've often thought that a great business in this area would be something that involved looking after all these summer homes. Might require some expertise and physical activity, but seems like many people visit their second homes rarely and might like someone keeping an eye on things. You're in a good location for something like that!

3:57 AM  
Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

Thanks for the great advice, Leslie and Sean. You are both very kind to share your ideas.
Lealie, I'll leave the "kit" at home.
Hope your trip to Boston was a success, Sean.
Mr E., the beauty around here is absolutly unique.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough, tough, tough. I dont envy you on this one...

Driving around could be the fun part yes (if you dont have to pay the gas bills).

Together of course :-)

7:39 PM  
Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

Thanks for the lovely country photos!

How to live your dream and survive...sounds like a book title if I ever heard one.!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home